How dangerous are poisonous houseplants for our pets?

Take care of your pets. They do not always know which plants can harm them, so keep them away from plants that can harm them.

Will our cat or dog really die if they nibbling the leaf of some poisonous plant and do we need to get rid of all the plants that can be dangerous to pets?

We can often read that some houseplants are extremely toxic and if our pet licks, bites or eats it can have tragic consequences for them. Although we ourselves may be witnessing that pets are consumed poisonous plants of which they had no consequences, can we really believe that there are poisonous plants?

Each plant has a different amount of toxins in it. For example, as we grow certain flowers, we influence the amount of toxins in that plant (sometimes increasing them and sometimes reducing them) so we cannot be sure how toxic a plant in our home really is. Also, plants that are more stressed by insect damage, lack of water, etc. may have an increased amount of toxins in themselves. Among other things, there is a fact that we are not aware of, which is that the amount of toxins in a plant changes during its development, so while in one period of its development cycle it may be completely harmless to your pet, in another it is very toxic.

Toxins can be found in the flower, but also in the root, leaf or stem.

The interesting thing is that there are plants that change the place where they concentrate their toxins. For example, it may be at the root of the plant, in a flower, leaf or stem. If your pet eats a leaf without consequences, it means that at that point, it is likely that the plant has collected the most toxins, for example, in a flower. Therefore, even though your animal has not been harmed, it does not mean that its next morsel on that plant or on another plant of the same species will not harm it.

If your pet consumed one of the herbs that should have a dangerous effect on him, he may have been lucky and at that time your plant was low in toxins. Therefore, be careful with the greenery you bring into your home if you have pets.

Why don’t pets stop eating houseplants that are obviously harmful to them?

Sometimes consequences such as nausea etc. come about an hour after the animal has nibbled on a particular plant. So your pet can’t relate the consequence of his nausea to the source because it happened much later. When the consequences are immediate, such as bitter taste, sneezing, etc., the animal will know that it is not suitable for it and will no longer consume it.

Toxic plants may not have tragic consequences for your pets in any case, but you need to be careful with them. Some animals will have no desire to nibble on your greenery in the apartment, while others enjoy this challenge. However, it is best to look after and remove poisonous plants from their reach, or simply grow ones that are not dangerous to your pets.

Toxic plants – a hidden danger to our pets

Some plants to avoid are: tulip, lily, hyacinth, saffron, daffodil, apple, poppy, peony, fern, ivy, fungi (various species), amarillis, begonia, ivy, Christmas star, cyclamen, dracena, hydrangea, mistletoe, daffodil, oleander.

Keep in mind that for cats are the most dangerous and deadly plants of the lily family: Hemerocallis and the oriental hybrid mostly derived from the wild East Asian lily species (Lilium speciosum). All plants of the lily family, even in small quantities, can result in a failure of cat kidney.

For dogs, but also for cats, sago palms that contain a large amount of toxins in their nuts are very dangerous. Consuming one to two seeds can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures or liver failure in your pet. So if you have a sago palm, keep it away from your pet!

Experience has shown that cats are generally more interested in your home plants, which does not mean that all cats will be interested, nor that all dogs will be interested in your plants. Take care of your animals, better not risk their health and remove dangerous plants from their range. You prefer to grow those plants that are not dangerous to the health of your animals.

How can you prevent your pets from consuming poisonous plants in your apartment?

You can spray the plants regularly with diluted cleanser. Add a little cleanser to a lot of water and gently spray the critical plant. When the cat or dog decides to nibbled plant, they will give up because of the unpleasant bitter taste. You will need to repeat this regularly until your pet stops nibbling on (when he tastes bitterness regularly, it will no longer want the plant).

This “recipe” will not have good effects on the plant, so try to spray only the part that the animal can reach so as not to permanently damage the plant.

Tags:, ,