Is caladium toxic for pets?

If you have a pet that walks freely around your apartment and you are also a fan of plants, you need to be careful.

Specifically, some houseplants simply do not go with a dog or cat, especially if it is a curious creature, who will always put muzzle everywhere. Some houseplants are seriously poisonous, while others will only cause uncomfortable transient symptoms. Most plant poisoning is manifested by symptoms of the digestive tract, ie diarrhea and vomiting, but life-threatening poisoning is also possible. Fortunately, dogs and kittens are rarely highly poisoned by home plants because the amounts they eat, compared to herbivores, are very small.

If, however, a pet does manage to tolerate consuming a massive amount the plant clinical signs will be notably worse. So much so, that the vomiting and diarrhea can severely dehydrate the animal, cause electrolyte imbalances and send the animal into shock.

It is not uncommon to see a dog or cat eat grass. To cats, it helps with the elimination of hairs accumulated in the stomach and is a source of certain vitamins. Dogs, by biting greens, try to make up for the lack of vitamins in the body. However, if your pet does not go outside and is not in contact with the grass, there is a good chance that they will want to nibble room plant especially if he is bored.

But if your pet find and eat caladium, it could be dangerous for him. The leaves of this plant contain crystals that are released as your pet chews the leaves. The released crystals like needles stick into the mucous membrane of the tongue and the inside of the face causing intense pain and itching. The animal tries to help itself by rubbing the muzzle against the floor and objects around the apartment, and there may be a stronger swelling of the muzzle and tongue. If swelling is present, it is best to seek the help of a veterinarian.

The caladium plant, in addition to the crystals mentioned, contains some toxic proteins that, especially in cats, can cause symptoms similar to seizures, vomiting, and a sudden drop in blood pressure.

This plant is second on the list of causative agents of animal poisoning. All parts of the plant are toxic, especially the leaves.

What To Do If Ingested

Prevent further ingestion of the plant and consult a veterinarian.

You can try offering yogurt, milk, cheese or any other source of calcium to provide relief from the pain, by possibly precipitating some of the calcium oxalate crystals. But, firstly flush the dog’smouth with plain water.

So caladuim is the plant that is best given to friends, of course – to those who do not have a pet. If you choose to keep this plant in your home, make sure to keep them far away from your pet.